01 June 2018

Portslade - Memorabilia

Judy Middleton 2018

copyright © G. Osborne
An early 1950s postcard
The postcard depicts, The High Street, St Nicolas Church, The George Inn, St Marye's Convent and Portslade Brewery

Badges & Brooches 
 
copyright © J.Middleton
 A 1909 badge/plaque for Portslade Urban District Council, set in the wall of the Old Portslade Fire Station in Church Road, is a reminder of the days when Portslade was free from Brighton & Hove control (historically Portslade pre-dates both Brighton & Hove)
 
photo copyright © D. Sharp
1910 Portslade Ramblers Cycle Club

photo copyright © D.Spicer
1920s: Portslade Motor Car Club a) before restoration b) after restoration,
It is thought 'MCC' is a motor car club, but of course the initials may also stand for a motor cycle club or even a model car club which were popular in the 1920-30s ?

photo copyright © J.Middleton
These 1940s military emblems were known as sweetheart brooches and were worn with pride by wives and sweethearts, mothers and sisters. The gold brooch carries the badge of the Royal Sussex Regiment while the silver one donates the Royal Engineers. 

photo copyright © J.Middleton
1940s: Brass Brownie badge

photo copyright © J.Middleton
1948: Vermin Club Badge. On 4th July 1948 Aneurin Bevan gave a speech in which he described the Tories as being ‘lower then vermin’. The Conservative Party’s response was to create Vermin Club lapel badges. Unfortunately, this vermin has lost a leg.

photo copyright © D. Sharp
  1950s St Nicolas Junior School blazer badge

photo copyright © D. Sharp
1950s Boy Scout Badges (6th Hove St Nicolas met at Hurst Crescent)

photo copyright © J.Middleton
1951: Official badge of the Festival of Britain

photo copyright © J.Middleton
 1960s: Boys Brigade Badge (The B.B. met at the United Reformed Church in Station Road)

photo copyright © D. Sharp
1960s The Girls' Life Brigade badges (G.L.B. met at the Baptist Church, South Street)

photo copyright © D. Sharp
1960s: Portslade Police Station's officer's helmet badge of East Sussex Constabulary, which in 1967 became East Sussex Police, before being amalgamated into Sussex Police in 1968.

photo copyright © D. Sharp
1960s: Uniform badge of East Sussex Constabulary, the martlet being the heraldic bird of Sussex.

photo copyright © D. Sharp
 1960s Portslade Boys’ School badge

photo copyright © D. Sharp
  1980s St Nicolas CofE Junior School badge and the 2000s St Nicolas CofE Primary School badge

*******

copyright © G. Osborne
An Edwardian postcard showing the High Street in the Old Village and the Victoria Recreation Ground

*******

Portslade Girl Piper's 'Dress Gordon Tartan'

copyright © G. Osborne                                                                       copyright © J. Middleton
A youthful Alan Osborne of Abinger Road was photographed in 1947 when he was doing his National Service with the Cameronians. Alan was a co-founder with his friend Jack of the Portslade Girl Pipers in 1973.
The Portslade Girl Pipers are photographed here marching along Brighton seafront in August 1977 with the Hotel Metropole in the background. (the photographs are mounted on the Dress Gordon tartan of the Portslade Girls Pipers)
*******

copyright © G. Osborne
This postcard would have been on sale in the Old Village shops for soldiers stationed in the Portslade Army Camp in the grounds of Windlesham House during the Great War 1914-18.

*******

copyright © G. Osborne
A 1890s John Dudney beer bottle from his Portslade Brewery in the High Street/South Street

copyright © G. Osborne
A 1930s Stanford & Co beer bottle from the Portslade Brewery in the High Street /South Street

*******

copyright © G. Osborne
 An early 1950s Mile Oak greetings postcard

*******

copyright © A.L Shepherd
In the late 1930s the Portslade Brewery building was taken over by Shepherd's Industries Limited,
one of the many items manufactured in the building was 'Frittles' crisps

*******

copyright © G. Osborne
An Edwardian postcard depicting St Nicolas Church

*******

 copyright © D.Sharp
This drawing based on a late 1850s map shows the Parish of Aldrington virtually depopulated and showing a detached area of the Parish of Portslade in the centre of Aldrington. This ‘landlocked island’ of Portslade including Wish Cottage was bordered by the modern day roads of New Church Road, Portland Villas, Portland Road and Woodhouse Road.
In 1883 this detached area of Portslade was absorbed into the Parish of Aldrington.
The London, Brighton & South Coast Railway was built in 1844. Copperas Gap was later renamed Portslade by Sea. 

*******

Thanks are due to Mr G. Osborne for allowing me to reproduce eight of his wonderful photographs 

Copyright © J.Middleton 2018
page layout by D.Sharp